The Avalon Marshes lies at the heart of the Somerset Levels and Moors. It is home to many wild places; on the doorstep of Glastonbury, Street and Wells; and a stone’s throw from Cheddar and the Somerset Coast. There is lots to see with nature reserves full of wildlife, museums and craft galleries to visit, heritage and landscape to explore and the iconic Glastonbury Tor to climb.
Getting to the Avalon Marshes
We are close to the M5/A303; follow the brown tourist signs from the A39. The nearest rail stations are Highbridge and Bridgwater; Castle Cary and Taunton are not too far away. National Cycle Routes 3, 26 and 33 all link with the marshes.
Information and more – The Avalon Marshes Centre
At the heart of our nature reserves, and only a short distance from Glastonbury, is the Avalon Marshes Centre, which has visitor information, a craft shop, cafe, toilets, plus replica Roman and Saxon buildings. It is linked to Glastonbury by a mainly traffic free cycle-path which runs through two of the principal nature reserves. To find out more go to our Avalon Marshes Centre page. Nearby Glastonbury and Wells both have helpful Tourist Information Centres.
How to see Nature
The marshes have four National Nature Reserves, several other reserves, and almost all of the area is protected in one way or another. It is a haven for Wonderful Wildlife and a special landscape. Most of the reserves have good tracks, trails and hides, but please note that dogs are not allowed on some parts of the reserves. Go to our at our Nature Reserve pages and Landscape pages to find out more.
Things to do
Here are some suggestions of things to do and ways to explore the Avalon Marshes:-
- Cycle – The Avalon Marshes are ideal for cycling – download one of our routes.
- Avalon Archaeology – Visit the Saxon long hall and Roman villa at the Avalon Marshes Centre (check website for opening times).
- Geocaching – An activity for all ages which will take you around the area.
- Nature reserves – Wonderful wildlife all the year round to explore on foot or by bike.
- For kids – Our Kids’ Stuff page has ideas and resources.
Planning your Visit
- How do we get to Somerset’s Avalon Marshes? Our Getting Here section will tell you.
- Need somewhere to stay, to eat or just want a cuppa? Our Stay and Eat section will point you in the right direction.
- Need more information? Call in at the Avalon Marshes Centre or at one of our local Tourist Information Centres.
- Maps, books and guides can help you find your way around and find out more – go to our Maps, Books and Guides page for downloadable maps and other information.