The Bittern Trail is open!
The Bittern Trail is a new family friendly cycle trail which links the town of Glastonbury with the Avalon Marshes Centre. It is a four mile long, tranquil, mainly traffic free, route running through the heart of Ham Wall and Shapwick Heath nature reserves. The route is flat and fully surfaced and is ideal for families. As you travel along it you can immerse yourself in a landscape teeming with wildlife and steeped in both history and mythology. When you arrive at the Avalon marshes Centre you can refresh yourself at the cafe, find information about the area and purchase local arts and crafts. To find out more and download a map go to the Cycling page on this website
The route has been funded and created by Glastonbury Town Council in collaboration with The Avalon Marshes Partnership, Somerset Crafts and the Marshes Hub Tea Stop.
Useful information on the trail:
- Trail leaflets can be obtained at Glastonbury Information Centre which is located in the centre of the town. It is open Monday to Saturday 10.00 – 16.00, Sunday 11.00 – 15.00. They can also be obtained at the Avalon Marshes Centre which is open seven days a week from 10 am to 5 pm.
- The Marshes Hub Tea Stop is open seven days a week 10 am to 5 pm.
- Somerset Crafts is open seven days a week from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Dogs are not allowed on the section of the route which passes through Shapwick Heath National Nature Reserve even if carried in trailers or buggies.
- The route is shared between families, people on foot and cyclists and is not suitable for large or fast groups of cyclists. Please be respectful of other uses and note that pedestrians have priority over cyclists.